Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The best part of the arts fest



The Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts is problably one the biggest events to hit State College besides a home football game. Riots that occured in 1998 and 2000 led to increased police presence, including (much to my delight) mounted police. Every Arts Fest I look forward to seeing these fantastic (and often overly large) horses. To someone who cannot afford the beautiful fares at the Fest, these mounted police and their mounts are the highlights of the fest. I'm sorry that they are needed, but I appreciate their presence since the Fest draws quite a crowd. My dad and myself happened to be in the area where they brought the horse trailers in and unloaded them, so I happily took pictures while the police saddled up. The evening was getting on, so the pics are a little dark, but you can see them pretty well. I hope you all, at some point get to see these officers in person some time.




The trailers had just arrived, but the officers immediately started to unload the horses



There were two trailers total and as far as I know the officers traveled in pairs



They put reflective strips on the horses' legs so the local (and non-local) drivers who were not used to sharing the road with horses would notice them quickly



Mounting up



Moving out
It was a pleasure to see these horses work. The whole time that we were standing there, loud atv's, cars, large vans pulling trailers, and even a few people passed close behind the horses who hardley even moved an ear. I can't imagine the training that must go into a riot horse!

1 comment:

Allen Mowery said...

So, what have you been up to? I cna't remember, did you graduate from The View already? Just wondering.....I always lose track of people.